Our mission statement was created from a year-long process that involved the whole congregation telling us what they most valued about our church and about how they saw God calling to fulfill our mission as we go forward in faith. The final version was tweaked and then unanimously approved by the congregation. The Open and Affirming phrase was then added after a year-long process of learning about sexual minorities, followed by another congregational vote. It really says who we are and why we are here.
HENRIETTA UCC’S MISSION STATEMENT
Henrietta United Church of Christ is a diverse and welcoming Christian community. Rooted in Christ and guided by the Holy Spirit, we seek to reflect and embody Jesus’ love for all people and all creation, as we…
- celebrate God’s grace through worship and praise;
- listen for God’s voice through the study of ancient testimonies and scriptures, daily prayer and meditation, and attention to God’s present activity in the world;
- empower people across the generations through Christian education, spiritual nurture and fellowship;
- reach out with compassion to those in need at home and abroad;
- create a safe, Open and Affirming community for all, regardless of ability, race, class, age, gender, sexual orientation, or means;
- foster faithful care of the earth and all that is in it;
- practice our faith in daily acts of ministry;
- work with other organizations of the United Church of Christ and with other faith communities to promote God’s reign of love, justice and peace;
- invite others to journey in faith with us.
We walk this path, trusting always in God’s power to transform our lives and our world.
Revised June 3, 2012